Saturday, January 8, 2011

NAMI Panel Discussions

I was honored to be asked to participate this weekend in the all-day symposium on mental illness, which was put together by NAMI Colorado in association with the musical production "Next to Normal" and the DCPA.  The discussion topic that I participated in was over "art and social responsibility concerning mental illness".  Although the turnout was less of an audience than I had hoped for, we were able to speak out about our message and beliefs to a number of people, and the earlier discussions had more audience members as well, so I'm sure the message will begin to spread.  Please take a moment to visit NAMI's website and look into mental illness advocacy and take initiative to educate yourself on what mental illnesses are, and some of the issues surrounding them.  One of the biggest issues is that of breaking down negative stereotypes and misrepresentation of people suffering from a mental illness.  I am very passionate about these issues, which is why I am personally steering my work towards enlightening my audience to the issues so that they may become empathetic as well as more interested in learning about mental illnesses.  I am very greatful for the opportunity that NAMI gave to me, and I will continue to support their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment