Thursday, January 6, 2011

Time, efforts, and results.

I still struggle with this issue a lot.  I think that I need to look into more creative techniques to achieving the same (or simmilar) results with my work that I'm getting right now.  I've looked into methods like color-field painting, because the layering of a few transparent primary colors ends up holding an awesome amount of vibrancy and suprisingly large range of hues.  However, a single mistake could completely comprimise the painting...  I've also considered working with more masking, or using mixed media.  I've already experimented a little bit with masking, mostly just to withold the clarity of the sillhouette of the main subject, but also to help create overlapping forms and make things appear to "pop".  In my current painting, I gave up trying to use the airbrush for creating hair because it was time consuming and the paint always lost it's vibrancy.  Because of the spray pattern, the strokes also appeared to become gray.  So I am using a ruling pen to apply the pure color, which retains it's vibrancy, but also adds the element of texture to my work, which is something completely new.  After discussing some techniques with Simon Hennessy, I've also brought into consideration the use of acrylic inks.  I hadn't realized that option, but it makes complete sense, since the concentration of pigments is high, while the consistency of the paint is quite fluid, which will run through the airbrush better (theoretically).  Anyway, I still think there must be some ways of creating the same quality of work I'm trying to achieve while not comprimising the production time.  If I could do the same painting in half the time, I could make twice as many paintings, which would increase my chances of making a sale, but more importantly it would allow me to fill a show and evolve as an artist quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment